World Book Day 2017 Posted: 10/03/17
World Book Day
On Thursday 2 March, Wren Academy partook in World Book Day 2017. To celebrate, teachers, student services, members of ALT and students from all years came to school that day dressed up as a literary character.
- The maths department as Harry Potter characters (honourable mention must go to Mr Gallagher who came as Professor Quirrell, complete with Lord Voldemort’s face painted on the back of his head)
- Seven Year 10 girls became The Seven Dwarves
- Ms Jones transformed her reprographics room into Miss Havisham’s lair of misery
- Ms Raddon, our Librarian, attended a meeting dressed as Anne of Green Gables
- And I, myself, delivered an assembly dressed as Napoleon from Animal Farm
The atmosphere at Wren was buzzing with everyone talking about books and sharing recommendations. The day also saw the introduction of a new inter-house competition: The Wren Read-athon Students now have the opportunity to earn points for their house by reading a book and writing a review in the library. Each review is worth one point and they are already being totted up! To incentivise reading further, the library now also features a literary lucky dip; students are challenged to pick out a book, bound in plain paper, and read from front-to-back whatever they unveil. So far almost forty books have been dipped for and some students have been surprised to find they have really enjoyed a book they would never have chosen.